I’ve been working on this one for a while (as you know). I think the goal was to have the project complete in May – and it’s now the end of June. But a finish is a finish :).
Here’s what the window looked like before.
Yes – The Dog and her friend are responsible for the damage on the right side. They object to the mailman standing on our driveway sorting his deliveries (which I swear he does just to make the dogs bark). Sometimes they get a little carried away – and these bamboo blinds just weren’t made to withstand 70 pounds of offended husky/lab (her friend just barks to add to the chaos factor – the damage is mostly due to The Dog lunging at the window).
And by the way – why the heck do people put those things on windows anyway? They were here when we moved in so we sort of inherited them, but they don’t prevent you from seeing out, which would help with the dogs, and they certainly don’t prevent people from seeing in, so no privacy either. Every window in this house has them and we’re slowly getting around to replacing them. Every. Single. One.
So here’s the home dec finish!
I ordered the fabric from fabric.com and it is a P. Kaufman Print (I believe the name is “Watercolor Paisley” twill in turquoise). My biggest fear is that we will tire of this large print quickly but for now it’s colourful and cheerful, which is what I was aiming for, and the paisley isn’t quite as “in your face” now that the pleats have gathered everything.
This is definitely one of the biggest projects, home dec or otherwise, that I’ve ever attempted and it’s certainly not for the feint of heart. It’s not that the sewing is complicated (if you can sew a straight line, you can make draperies) but the sheer amount of fabric to deal with makes things very difficult – especially if you don’t have a lot of space to spread things out. There were several times as I was wrestling with the fabric that I felt like I was fighting a losing battle!
In the interest of full disclosure, I’ll admit that the bamboo blinds are still hiding behind the drapes, but as we’re leaving today to see son J. in Saskatchewan, the job of removing those will have to wait until we get back. There’s also a bit of a wonky lining back there (right side) that I will have to work on, but I’m still considering these a finish and linking up with Finish it up Friday over at CrazyMomQuilts.