Babies, Beginnings and Old Projects

Well, there have been no finishes this week, but that seems to be the way it goes around here. I have a few weeks where I’m consistently finishing up project after project and then, I have a few weeks where, for a variety of reasons, it’s harder to get things done. Never-the-less, progress has been made in a number of areas this week starting with…


More baby quilts! This is the girl version – the cute pink/green/blue/red bird print (right by the needle/foot – if you can see it!) was the inspiration for this one and I chose colours from the stash to coordinate. It would definitely be further along were it not for the fact that I ran out of thread last evening (after Fabricland closed, of course). But that just allowed me to make a little progress on the boy version.


The yellow elephant print was the starting point for this one – and again, the stash provided coordinates (and the more stash I use up, the better I can explain/justify the need for more material :)).

I’m starting to feel a little bit like a one-trick pony, but the Stacked Coins Baby Quilt is still my favourite (my apologies if you’re getting tired of seeing the many various versions of it here!).

It does seem like there is something in the water at work, though, since at least three co-workers are expecting/having babies. Word came today that the first of the babies was born yesterday and is a little girl – good thing the pink version is further along :). I thought that I would try to get out ahead of things by making the two versions to have on hand as the babies arrived – that way I can gift as needed and backfill as I go. I will need to begin another pink version right away.

But right away might not be for at least a week as I will be travelling again this coming week for work (for the first half of the week) and shopping (over the weekend :)). In looking for a take-along project, I’ve been making fabric yarn to begin a crocheted rag rug for the bathroom using this tutorial over at Crazy Mom Quilts.


Not that I should be starting even more projects at the moment, but this particular project (once finished) will mark the end of the bathroom redo that has been going on for most of the fall. Before/after photos to come soon – once the rag rug is done :).

And last but not least for this week, this quilt is a Way-Back Project that has been sitting in an almost-finished state over at my mother’s house for more than a year. It’s a convoluted story, but suffice it to say it went there for sewing, plans changed and now that mom is trying to get her kids’ stuff out of her house, it’s come back to me (really – it’s taken more than fifty years and she’s starting to succeed, so there may still be some hope for getting MY kids to take their stuff :)).


This Rail Fence with Star design I found online several years ago – but I will try to find and provide the link for the finish. It’s made of cozy flannel so the timing might be right for finishing it up and putting it to use since the temperature is dropping out there as I type and the local weather girl says snow is possibility for tomorrow (yikes!).

So, those are the works-in-progress for this week – and hopefully, at least a couple will be finishes by next Friday :).

Have a very happy Halloween!


This entry was posted in quilting, sewing, The Way-Back Project, wip. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s