Pinky Finish

I’m so pleased that I (just!) managed to finish this little quilt today. First I’ll tell you how the back went together and then show you the final quilt. If you missed the instructions for the top, you can find them here.

Here’s a look at the back:

PinkyBack

Remember those extra blocks from the front? Sew 7 of them together in a vertical row, alternating the small square from side to side (or any arrangement that appeals to you!).

Once you have your row of blocks, sew the leftover pink to one side of your row – I had about 29-inches x WOF leftover from the original 2 yards but if you started with more yardage (even a half yard more) you would have enough pink solid to complete the back.

Since I only had the small amount of pink to work with, on the other side of the row to make the back wide enough I really wanted to use the pink polka dot, but I was hoping for enough of this fabric to bind the quilt, too. After cutting 5 strips, 2-inches wide for the binding from the half yard I had available, the 10-inches left wasn’t quite enough to get the total width needed for the back. Some creative piecing was called for, so I added a strip of grey paisley as well. And if you look closely, you’ll see that width of the polka dot was also not a full 44-inches and a little piece of grey had to be added to get the necessary length as well. Thank heavens it all seems to work in the end!

The back was just big enough in the end so I did something that I rarely take the time to do – pin!

PinkyPinned

Many, many pins :). But it was definitely worth it as this was a small quilt which didn’t take too long to pin, and as a result I had no shifting at all. Down side – lots of pin holes in my hands. Maybe I will have to give the spray adhesive another try for bigger projects, but in the past I’ve ended up feeling like I’m working with a giant piece of sticky tape – not the best situation for me!

I also rarely do free-motion quilting, but with the small size of this quilt I wanted to try something a little different. I quilted a lopsided daisy in the large squares and a leaf in the small squares, diagonally in each direction across the quilt.

PinkyQuilting2

The daisy was meant to reflect some of the flowers in the fabrics like this one:

PinkyQuilting

I’m generally pleased with the results – still debating a little whether I should go back and fill in some of the larger gaps in between the diagonals, but for now I’m considering the quilt complete.

And here it is:

PinkyFront

Just the right size for a new baby niece and her bear?

PinkyAndBear

Linking up with Finish-it-up-Friday over at CrazyMomQuilts.

Happy June!

L

Advertisements
This entry was posted in finish, quilting, sewing, tutorial, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Pinky Finish

  1. GeminiJen NZ says:

    I love this! The pattern is really interesting and I like the way you used the leftovers on the back. Great colours too!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s